Saturday, February 16, 2013

OKAPI

It isn't a zebra, it isn't a giraffe, it isn't me, who is?...



OKAPI




The okapi, Okapia johnstoni, is a giraffid artiodactyl mammal native to the Ituri Rainforest, located in the northeast of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, in Central Africa. Although the okapi bears striped markings reminiscent of zebras, it is most closely related to the giraffe.


The name "okapi" is a portmanteau of two Lese words, oka, a verb meaning to cut and kpi, a noun referring to the design made on Efé arrows by wrapping the arrow with bark so as to leave stripes when scorched by fire. The stripes on the legs of the okapi resemble these stripes on the arrow shafts. Lese legend says the okapi decorates itself with these stripes, adding to the okapi's great camouflage.


The okapi's tongue is also long enough for the animal to wash its eyelids and clean its ears (inside and out...ahahahahha). This sticky tongue is pointed and bluish-grey in colour like that of the giraffe. Male okapis have short, skin-covered horns called ossicones. Their large ears help them detect their predator, the leopard.


Okapis are essentially solitary, coming together only to breed, with the exception of mothers and offspring. Breeding behaviours include sniffing, circling, and licking each other. :-P
Okapis are herbivores, feeding on tree leaves and buds, grasses, ferns, fruits and fungi. Many of the plant species okapis feed on are poisonous to humans. (from Wikipedia, the best)




3 comments:

Monika.Gamillscheg@graphische.net said...

Good afternoon,
I am a graphic student from vienna. For my diploma project I create teaching materials for elementary schools on the subject of the tropical rainforest. And therefor I need a picture of an okapi. I did not find one on free stock photo sites and I can's afford buying photos… So the question to you: Are you the originator of the pictures on your website? And if yes, can I use one photo of an okapi on your website for my material? The project is non commercial and I also do not get paid for my work. Naturally the originator would be named. I would be very grateful for a quick reply.
Thanks a lot in any case!
Monika Gamillscheg

Miss Milky said...

Hello Monika and thank you for stopping by on my blog! Sorry but I've posted these images taken by google or from http://www.okapiconservation.org and if you click on the pics you can see website linked :-(
I adore OKAPI and I hope you will find good images for your students!
Have a nice day,
xoxo
Miss Milky

Anonymous said...

Hi Monika!

Have you already seen on Pinterest for OKAPI? Maybe you can find some free image...

P.